• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Dry sauna

assembled

Bluelighter
We have a dry sauna at the gym that I've been going to. I never really went in there much for the first few months that I went, but lately after every workout I've been going in there and reading the paper until I can't stand the heat any longer.

Usually I'm in there quite a while as I have a high heat threshold, and only leave when I get light headed. There's always a pool of sweat underneath me when I leave (yeah that's kinda gross..).

What are the benefits of the sauna for you? Personally I just feel really relaxed and my muscles feel loose after I get out, as well as I perceive the sweating to be beneficial for cleaning toxins and skin pores.

I've gone in a wet sauna like setting before (Native American sweat lodge) and it was hotter and steamier, but all in all I felt the steam distracting and uncomfortable, dry sauna for the win, imo.

I've been in dry saunas and I have heard how they make your skin better and clean your body of toxins. I also would feel very relaxed, warm, and it was enjoyable swimming in a cool pool after going into a sauna.

I've also been in steam rooms or wet saunas before and I prefer the dry ones.

I use the wet sauna all the time and love it, but personally I can't stand the dry one. Feels like torture to me. To each their own, they are both good for you!

Dry saunas are why Scandinavians have such great skin and long lifespans.

Do you guys know the differences, advantages, disadvantages, etc for the wet vs the dry?

Dry saunas are why Scandinavians have such great skin and long lifespans.

hahaha orly? I'm personally a fan of the steam room/wet sauna. I'm also curious if there are any medical benefits. I always relaxed me quite a bit after a workout.

Heat post-workout should open up blood vessels and help shuttle nutrients where they are needed better.

There are these springs in china, where one pool is hot and the other cold. People jump back and forth between them. The combination of vasoconstriction and vasodilation is supposed to be great for the circulation and is probably the ideal post workout ritual. After eating that is. You can replicate that in your shower, 1 minute hot, 1 minute cold for 10 minutes.